Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Aug28Art

Fifty years ago on this date in 1963 Martin Luther King gave his 'I have a dream speech' on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, John F. Kennedy was President of the United States, I was 12 years old and going into the 7th grade of Elementary school.  There was no such thing as 'middle' school back then, just Elementary and High School, my brother was going to be a Junior at Northside High School in Atlanta.  The following year John F. Kennedy would be assassinated and we'd move to Tucker Georgia, to the house my mother lives in now, and my brother would be a Senior at Tucker High School where he played trumpet in the marching band, while I attended the same school in the 8th grade. There was no internet, no cell phones, no cable tv and no home computers... when we did stupid stuff only our close friends and family knew about it.  Taking pictures required film and a trip to the drug store to have them sent off to Kodak to be developed.  Just a few of my memories of the time of this historic speech in Washington DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment