Sunday, July 12, 2009

Jul12Art


Jul12Art, originally uploaded by CaptElaine.

My daughter is pulling her girls out of public school and going to home school them... I'm so glad she's doing that... I got Joe a 'summer activity' workbook, for kids going into the 4th grade in the fall... day one is cursive alphabet review... problem is he doesn't know how to do any of the letters... he said they taught him to write his name in cursive, but when I asked him to show me, he couldn't do it... this child made all A's in third grade... what exactly did he learn?

4 comments:

  1. Brace yourself for this one. According to a teacher I talked to this year, some teachers/schools aren't even teaching cursive anymore. Something about all the disagreements over which kind to teach? I am grateful James and Kate had Mrs. Bradham for 2nd/1st grade this past year. She actually corrected handwriting...and that's the only way to really learn it. In another class, a student got upset with me because I graded her spelling test according to what I read. . .apparently, she's been allowed to make a's that look like o's, and I was pretty mean to notice they were wrong :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to explain to Joseph that someday, signing a check will be something he'll need to do... and that if he writes one for $400.00 he'll be really mad if the bank reads that as $900.00... writing is important... I'm just stunned it isn't considered important... what IS IMPORTANT? Because he can't read that well either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update...some folks told me... that these days they teach 'Keyboarding'...so I gave him a simple sentence to type... "Hello my name is Joe"... hunt and peck with one finger is NOT typing... and if that's what kids are learning today... in one generation the Chinese will OWN the country, because our citizens will be too dumb to write a note saying HELP ME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes you a little afraid for the future, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete