Friday, November 28, 2008

Nov28Art


Nov28Art, originally uploaded by CaptElaine.

My mother's mother we called "Hello"... my older brother gave her that name... you see she wanted to be called 'Grand-mother', not MeeMaw, or Granny... so she set out to teach Gene (my brother) by saying to him 'Say 'Hello to your Grand-mother'...every time she saw him...even before he could talk... he learned to talk... and of course called her "Hello".... and so did the rest of us. She loved shopping at Rich's in downtown Atlanta, on Thanksgiving night Rich's would hold the 'Lighting of the Great Tree', local choirs would line the bridge floors between the parking garage and the store... the street would be closed to traffic and thousands of Atlantans (me and my daughter too) would line the street, sing Christmas carols... and ooh and ahh when the final song "Oh Holy Night" ended with the lighting of the tree. I'm really sad that Rich's went out of business and that tradition ended with them.

4 comments:

  1. What a cute story! I didn't get out there on Black Friday...I treasure my sleep and getting up at 2 or 3 am to be first in line and fight the crowds have never been anything I wanted to do...but I prob miss out on a lot of savings! Oh well....hope you have a gr8 day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the "Hello" story too - my daughter is threatening to teach her future children to call me "Lady" - oh well I'll answer to anything

    ReplyDelete