Monday, February 14, 2011

Feb14Art





We celebrated Valentine's Day when I was a kid, lots of crafts, making a shoe box into a mail box, and lots of cards. I'm a baby boomer, it was common for me to be in a single class in elementary school, with 45 to 60 other kids and just one teacher... we learned to read and we also learned about arts and crafts and music...
By the time my daughter was in elementary school, the classes were MUCH smaller, but the 'artsy' crafts pretty much got dropped, kids bought valentines and exchanged them... and some teachers didn't even allow that. We did have fun and Valentine's day was one of my favorites because of the cards, cutting out hearts, pasting doilies,,, and getting cards from my friends was fun too.
Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Such an expressive drawing Elaine! I absolutely love it.
    I remember those Valentine's days in school too. It was fun with cards and candy and everyone included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I still have a box I made with one of my classes several years ago. Every year I would pull it out and add new Valentine's from students. It's still fun to go through and remember my students with fondness.

    ReplyDelete