Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Jun01Art


Jun01Art, originally uploaded by CaptElaine.

This didn't work out as planned... I had wanted to paint my paint colors in the tubs on the left... but the ink pen I used proved not to be waterproof ink... oops... so I put the color samples elsewhere. You might wonder how I managed to use a pen with runny ink....
well ... it was a gift from a fellow sketcher... his favorite pen he said.

You see I was sitting at a political meeting with my tiny pocket sketch book, sketching the people ... the man sitting next to me noticed and told me he was an artist too, and he handed me his favorite pen... I made a few lines with it, and said 'ooo I like the smooth line this makes' and so he said 'keep it'... so of course I had to let him have my Pitt pen... which he tried and liked as well.

So today was the first time I tried to use the pen with a wash (that other book has no color just pen)... and discovered it runs... The pigment numbers for the two bottom colors for those keeping score are Pg 36 + Py110 for Hookers Green and PBk6 + Pg27 for Paynes Gray. I like to note the pigment of my paints, so that I know what I've got no matter what the manufacturer names the color. Most of my paints in this palette are Daniel Smith and Windsor Newton.

3 comments:

  1. So I'm curious what pen he gave you!! ...Have to make sure I avoid that one, unless I want to use it for adding tone! Thanks for showing your palette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun story! Sounds like your fellow artist may have gotten the best part of the trade- LOL! You are very detailed with your colors- I admire that. I never have the patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love to see what tools other people use! I hope you'll join me in a challenge started by Suzanne McDermott and do a sketch of the Gulf of Mexico.
    the Spirit of the Gulf Challenge — http://www.suzannemcdermott.com/2010/06/spirit-of-gulf-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete