Monday, August 10, 2009

SeaOats1


SeaOats1, originally uploaded by CaptElaine.

Ok... now it's not totally in my head... I don't know how other people do this... but here's my way (such as it is)... ok the name of the painting (already given on application).. is 'Sea oats'.. I thought I'd do another sunset sea in the back ground oats in the foreground... But I can not get the ocean to look right ... so I'm going to ditch the ocean and just do a dramatic sunset sky, maybe some dark clouds... with sea oats in the foreground... practiced doing those on this sheet too, and I think they turned out looking like sea oats. I'll paint another concept painting in my Strathmore WC paper pad 9x12 tomorrow... and if it looks like it'll work that'll be what I do. So does anyone else do this or am I the only one?

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I'm not a painter. I also like to "wing it" at the torch BUT I basically do the same thing when I get an idea and decide I want to torch it. I'll google images of the subject, attempt to draw rough sketches of the outline, etc. Not so much lately, but there was a time when my torching table had all kinds of scraps of papers taped up on the wall in front of my torch. So, long story short, your notes on your watercolor sketch look kinda familiar to me :)

    As for the sketch itself, I really like the loosey-goosey waving of the sea oats. I'm not sure what sea oats look like in person, but I really like the heads on those.

    ReplyDelete